Austin, TX: Not just for cowboys!
Considering a move to Austin? It’s a popular spot, and there’s a reason for it! Not only is the city and its surrounding suburbs home to more than 20 White Lodging managed properties, but it's home to a booming downtown and known for its live music. Love food? So do the Austonians! There's plenty of hotspots for foodies, including the food trucks that sell everything from kabobs to doughnuts.
A city for all ages, Austin offers a vibrant night scene with the infamous Sixth St., unique culture, museums, variety of shopping options and sporting attractions including the only track in the U.S. dedicated to Formula One Racing. And, did we mention live music? Austin is home to some of the most famous music festivals, including the famous SXSW and Austin City Limits. Stop in for a craft beer on Rainey St. or munch on some brunch on South Congress. And did we mention it's the live music capital of the world?
Here's some fast facts about Austin:
- According to the Brookings Institution, Austin ranks No. 2 in economic recovery since the recession.
- Austin, Texas tops the list of Best Cities For the Next Decade for the third year in a row by Forbes in 2013
- Ranked as the country’s best large market for relocating families, by the Worldwide Employee Relocation Council and Primacy Relocation, LLC
- Forbes has recognized Austin as the Best City for Job Growth and Good Jobs, No. 1 on America’s Fastest-Growing Cities list, No. 2 on the list of Emerging Cities for Entrepreneurs and No. 19 on the list of America’s coolest cities.
- 6th Top Moving Destination by U-Haul in 2013
- Named the Most Aspirational City in America by The Daily Beast
- UT Texas named One of America’s Top Colleges by Forbes, and the University of Texas was recognized No. 26 of 100 Top Colleges in the World by CWUR in 2013 and No. 27 according to the Times’ Higher Education World Reputation Rankings
- CreditDonkey.com named Austin as the best U.S. city for twentysomethings
- East Austin was named one of the best neighborhoods undiscovered by tourists by USA Today in 2013
- ZipRealty Inc. named Austin No. 7 among the best markets in America to find an affordable home.
- Livability.com named Austin No. 3 for new college grads
- No. 6 in the nation’s top cities for beer by Oyster.com
- Ranked #10 in "America's Friendliest Cities, According to Travel + Leisure Readers" by Thrillist
Trying to decide between the city and the suburbs? Click here to learn more about city living and click here to learn about living in the suburbs. Moving with your family, here’s some information about schools in the area.